Rittenhouse Square has not lost its original character largely because of the businesses and individuals who make up the Friends of Rittenhouse Square. The Friends have taken on the bulk of the financial responsibility to sustain Rittenhouse Square, ensuring the park and neighborhood remain vibrant.
On an annual basis the Friends fund:
• Tree care
• Grass seeding
• Graffiti removal
• Bench repair
• Supplemental seasonal maintenance staff
• Sidewalk sweeping
• A dedicated park ranger
• Excess seasonal trash removal
• Holiday lights
• Doggie bags
The Friends also fund special projects to address the ever-changing needs of the Square. Past projects have included:
• Restoring sculptures and the fountain tile mosaic
• Repairing perimeter iron fencing
• Building the guardhouse
• Renovating the gardener’s cottage
• Upgrading LED lamppost lighting
• Installing a security camera system
• Installing additional interior lampposts
• Restoring historic urns
• Adding decorative lighting for structures, statues, and architectural features
• Repairing and restoring park entrance stonework and the central limestone balustrade
2013 marked the 100th anniversary of Paul Cret’s design of Rittenhouse Square – the current layout of the park that the public enjoys today. During this special anniversary year, the Friends embarked on an ambitious one million dollar restoration and conservation fundraising campaign to enhance the park and preserve its historic architectural features. Areas of focus included: the main park entrances, fountain, lead planting urns, and limestone balustrades that surround the interior cobblestone area where the fountain, guardhouse, and lion’s bed are located. Eighteen months after launching the campaign, in June of 2014, the Friends were able to raise the last funds needed to complete the restoration projects.
Join the Friends in the effort to preserve, protect, and beautify the features that make Rittenhouse Square one of Philadelphia’s most treasured landmarks.
Click here to become a member or make a donation today.